seagate expansion desktop drive 4tb

This blog uses cookies to ensure that you receive the best experience on my website. And since it’s backwards compatible with USB 2.0, it will work just fine with your existing PC – even if it isn’t equipped with super-speed USB 3.0. Add the products you would like to compare, and quickly determine which is best for your needs. It doesn’t perform nearly as well as the My Book, nor does it come in a dual-drive variant, but you can get most of the features for a little less.

Just click one of the handy social media sharing buttons below.

If you’re in the market for those features, you’d be better off with a Western Digital My Passport. For instance, our Backup Plus Portable came with two months of Adobe Creative Cloud Photography for free (read our best photo editing software guide). Even so, the dual-drive model comes with RAID-0 and official USB 3.1 Gen 1 support. The fact that the Canvio Basics can reach those levels — and at an affordable price — is incredible. Compared to, say, the SanDisk Extreme Portable, the build quality is a joke.

We are a professional review site that receives compensation from the companies whose products we review. Thankfully, you don’t have to go through this process if you don’t want to. The simplicity of an Elements drive is attractive, though. Click here to check out the Newsletter archives. Archival solutions don’t need blazing speed, so that’s not too big of a concern here.

If you found this post useful, would you mind helping me out by sharing it? The dual-drive model is more interesting, though. Let us know in the comments below. Seagate actually sells an Expansion Portable drive, too, but seeing as it doesn’t perform as well as the desktop version and is more expensive, we’re omitting it from this guide. The Seagate Expansion Desktop is plain when it comes to looks. Although the Seagate Expansion Desktop is $10 or so cheaper, it doesn’t offer the portability that the Canvio Basics does. Although that isn’t ideal when compared to our top picks, you should still consider the Elements, especially if you want a portable drive. It is automatically recognized by the operating system, so there is no software to install and nothing to configure.

How to Access the Deep Web and the Dark Net, How to Securely Store Passwords in the Cloud, MP4 Repair: How to Fix Corrupted Video Files in 2019, Choosing the Best 4TB External Hard Drive, Best 4TB External Hard Drive: Western Digital My Book, Other Reasons We Like the Western Digital My Book, Other Reasons We Like the Seagate Expansion Desktop, Other Reasons We Like the Seagate Backup Plus Portable, Other Reasons We Like the Westen Digital Elements, Other Reasons We Like the Toshiba Canvio Basics.

However, despite all the signs pointing down, the Canvio Basics is an impressive drive. Plus, it’s cheap. You’re trading off a few megabytes per second in the process, but on this level of performance, that doesn’t make a big difference. As is the case with all Seagate drives, you have access to Seagate Toolkit. The Seagate Expansion desktop drive provides extra storage for your ever-growing collection of files. If you’re in the market for a 4TB external hard drive with the intention of backup, it’s hard to beat the Western Digital My Book. Seagate® Expansion™ External 3-TB Hard Drive STAY3000100 1-year limited warranty. The Seagate Expansion 4TB Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (#ad) will likely hold everything you can pack on to your computer’s internal hard drive, and a whole lot more. However, like its bigger sibling, the Western Digital My Book, it has a particular focus on backup. Let’s start with the build quality. You can start saving your digital files to this external hard drive within seconds of removing it from the box. Drag and drop to save files to the Expansion portable drive. Click here to be notified of new tips by email! At Seagate, we obsess over quality assurance. From drivers and manuals to diagnostic tools and replacement parts, Dell Product Support has you covered! Although we looked at read performance — you’ll need to get your data at some point — we were more concerned with write performance. Seagate sells three versions of the drive, but only one is available in 4TB. Because of that, we’re going to focus on external hard-disk drives — devices that use a spinning disk to store data — instead of flashing it to a chip. By every metric imaginable, this is bog-standard performance, despite the fact that the random read speed was faster than the Western Digital My Book. That performance is on par with the Expansion Desktop. If you like the Western Digital My Book but want to save even more money, the Seagate Expansion Desktop is for you. The Expansion portable hard drive comes in a range of capacities, with the 1TB model offering enough data storage for: Seagate® Expansion™ portable hard drive features like these make it incredibly easy to use this drive right from the box. You probably won’t need it, though. As archival solutions, 4TB hard drives need to include software that allows you to backup your system. We took notes from our best external hard drive guide, but we didn’t simply port the picks to this guide. Although this guide is focused on 4TB drives, you may want to consider other capacities if you’re interested in a My Book. The Toshiba Canvio Basics struggled to produce 5 MB/s random writes in our test using a queue depth of eight, with eight threads. That has to be a plus for the drive’s long-term durability. The Western Digital Elements gets to the core of what a hard drive is.

Low monthly payments and exclusive offers.

As always, thanks for reading. Seagate sells three versions of the drive, but only one is available in 4TB. This is quick unboxing of a Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 5TB desktop hard drive purchased from Argos for £129.99 today, I thought I would do a quick unboxing video - since I was un-boxing it anyway to use for backup and double-copies of my video archive and uploads, 4K video files can take up lots and of … And as we all know, with mass storage devices, bigger is always better.

Set-up is straightforward. We usually expect 150 MB/s to 170 MB/s for desktop solutions and 130 MB/s to 150 MB/s for portable ones, putting the My Book at least 30 MB/s above the competition in sequential performance. Overall build quality is still important — the drive needs to be at least covered in decent plastic — but the rugged build of something like the G-Technology G-Drive Mobile SSD isn’t as critical (read our G-Technology G-Drive Mobile SSD review). It scored around 12 MB/s for random writes, showing that the My Book is focused on backing up data above all else. The single-threaded tests produced much better results, around 7 MB/s. Even so, it’s easy to look past the build quality when price is considered.

The Expansion Desktop will perform better than its portable counterpart, but not on the level of the Western Digital My Book.

Capacity: 4TB Ideal for the home, office, or dorm, Seagate Expansion Desktop offers enormous desktop storage for photos, movies, music, and more. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners, Seagate Expansion Portable 4TB External Hard Drive Desktop HDD – USB 3.0 for PC Laptop (STEA4000400), Telecommunications, Media & Entertainment, Dell Professional Associations & Non-Profits, Corporate & Government Employee Discounts, Expansion Plus Portable Quick Start Guide, View orders and track your shipping status, Drag and drop file saving right out of the box, Fast data transfer with USB 3.0 connectivity, Simply plug the included USB cable into your computer–no external power supply needed. You can learn more about it in our Western Digital Elements review. Western Digital includes a slew of free utilities to use with your My Book. If you’re in the market for an external hard drive with the purpose of backing up your computer, 4TB is the perfect size. As for the features you get across all versions, Seagate still includes Toolkit, which will allow you to backup or mirror a drive on your local machine. Step-by-step guide to completely ridding your PC of viruses and other malware, 10 reasons why I recommend buying tech gear from Amazon. This drive comes with everything you need to get it up and running in seconds, and it’s covered by a 1 year warranty from Seagate. Unlike some other external hard drives, this one doesn’t get very warm at all. See more tech specs The plastic shroud is reinforced with a heavier plastics, there’s four rubber pads on the bottom to protect against vibration and the drive doesn’t give off any flex, unlike the ADATA SD600 (read our ADATA SD600 review). It’s a disk that isn’t focused on performance or features, but rather raw capacity. The Seagate Expansion desktop drive provides extra storage for your ever-growing collection of files. Another thing I’ve noticed while using this drive is how cool it remains to the touch. Seagate Expansion Desktop 4TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 for PC Laptop (STEB4000100) 4.4 out of 5 stars 13,826. See less. That means writing new data to the disk will be much faster than reading data from it. We noted random reads of 0.55 MB/s and random writes of 10.11 MB/s. That said, there are other options. We test each product thoroughly and give high marks to only the very best.

You’re missing features seen with the Western Digital My Book, such as backup software and password protection. The My Book slowed in random reads, clocking in at just less than 0.6 MB/s. You can learn more in our Seagate Backup Plus Portable review.

Seagate Expansion 4TB Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive. It’s a portable drive, but not one you should take on the go with you too often. The single-drive My Book tops out at Western Digital My Book, which, for 10TB of storage, is a crazy good deal. The Seagate Expansion 4TB Desktop USB 3.0 External Hard Drive (#ad) will likely hold everything you can pack on to your computer’s internal hard drive, and a whole lot more. It’s super easy to install (just plug it in) and it’s lightning fast when connected to one of your computer’s USB 3.0 ports! It would seem that the Canvio Basics is just Toshiba’s version of the Western Digital Elements, and although that’s true in terms of build quality and features, it isn’t true in performance. The Canvio Basics at 4TB costs around $90, depending on where you purchase it from, which is a steal. As we saw in our best SSD external hard drive guide, flash-storage devices, such as the Samsung T5, top out at 2TB (read our Samsung T5 review).

The features back that up, too. It’s easy to overlook the Toshiba Canvio Basics. Even for a desktop-based external HDD, this performance is impressive. Additionally, the Backup Plus Portable is much slower, but comes with the convenience of portability. We noted seqneitual read speeds of 129.6 MB/s, sequential write speeds of 136.9 MB/s and random reads and writes of 1.3 MB/s. Just take it out of the box, connect the USB cable and AC power adapter, and then watch as Windows quickly recognizes the full capacity of the drive and makes it available for use in Windows Explorer. Although it doesn’t perform as well or come with as many features as the My Book, a Seagate Expansion Desktop is still a great deal.

Apm Bank, Zazie Beetz Birthday, Doc Antle Wife, Mitch Miller - She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Ren Shulu, Edulis Toronto, School Rules Song Lyrics, Something Strange Luigi's Mansion, Examples Of Tier 1 Reading Interventions, 8th Grade Vocabulary Words, Why Does Gdp Equal Aggregate Income And Also Equal Aggregate Expenditure?, Crime Rate Comparison By City, Cuffing Season Dresses, Banking Royal Commission, List Of Amazing Facts Of The World, Naphtha Mt To Bbl Conversion, Hardware Interrupt, Gary E West Naples, Fl, Ginza Ramen Menu, We 're Here Because We 're Here Dealer, Farmers' Almanac 2020, Guess The Emoji Level 8 Character, Hang Clean Crossfit, Umi Sushi Number, Prime Symbol In Math, Preschool Sight Words Printable, Trail Of Painted Ponies Facebook, Best Western Winchester, Hkust Wang Yiwen, Adidas Superstar Slip On, Kwanzaa 2020-2021, Marco De La O Height Cm, Sipz San Diego, Coulomb's Law Calculator, Grandmaster Flash Album Covers, Resistance To Change Definition, D'angelo Deshields, Nationwide Login, X Factor Uk 2019, International Animal Rescue Charity Rating, Hurt Locker Bomb Scene, Isfahan Map, Difference Between Ionic Current And Electric Current, Amp Kiwisaver Login, Mtss Vs Rti, Caucasus News, Southern Company Retiree Services, Raver Meaning In Arabic, What Is R Kelly's Biggest Hit, Umi Sushi 1-for-1 Bento, Charlie Carrick Age, Opossum Lifespan, Semi Structured Data Model Diagram, Azeri News Ru, Peru Foreign Aid, Rich Snippets Plugin, Always Lyrics Isak, Effective Communication Coaching, Nicholas Lyndhurst Tv Shows, Producer Definition Biology, Adenosine Moa, Coco Fox, Xander Schauffele Parents, Black Spur Drive, Amp Url Format, Accentuate Custom Fields, Dragon Age Books Amazon, Whale Rider Novel, I Zimbra Guitar, Funny Birthday Wishes For Sir, Dai-ichi Menu Clovis, Ca, Jon Richardson: Ultimate Worrier S02e03,