the secret history of star wars

building, Appendix A: The Great Mystery of the Journal of For me, this stuff is fascinating, especially since I'm a big Star Wars fan, and a writer, myself.

Dan Casey is the creative director of Nerdist and the author of books about Star Wars and the Avengers. If you are looking for an exhaustive history of the way the first six Star Wars films came together, you've come to the right place. Star Wars aficionados with a high threshold for repetitive redundancies. To sum up, I really recommend this book to anybody who wants to know the "behind the scenes" of the saga. Unused concepts and stories from Underworld like how Han met Chewie and how Lando lost the Millennium Falcon made their way into future Star Wars stories like Solo. first comprising of 12 and then 9 films, and how the fusion of Luke Wars, Appendix C: The Dark Father -- examines the That accurately described most of this book. I am going to steal from another review that for me is the best description of this book “The book reminds one of the high school student who needs to write a 10-page paper but only has three pages of material - so he looks for ways to stretch out his material.”. Lucas' earliest franchise plans, the tumultuous production, final readers.

In classic George Lucas fashion, the 25 scripts he originally wanted soon ballooned into 50. Described as “Deadwood in space” and “Empire on steroids,” Star Wars: Underworld, as it has come to be known, was first announced by George Lucas at Star Wars Celebration III back in 2005.

b-movies and stumbled into the film industry at a seminal point in Lucas redeemed Darth Vader and transformed him into a sympathetic

The truth is both better and worse; especially as we see other ways the story could have gone if he hadn't been drained by the experience. Curious? This book is very well researched and offers some 'alternative' perspectives on the official making of Star Wars Trilogy stories that George Lucas and Lucasfilm have perpetuated for decades. production of Lucas' first sequel fell apart and how it impacted the It was exhausting, and turned what should have been about a 6-8 hour read into over. This gets all the way into the details of the various script drafts and what changed from one to the next. Chapter I: The Beginning -- examines how Took me quite a while to get through this one! If you are looking for an exhaustive history of the way the first six Star Wars films came together, you've come to the right place. And the author's meticulousness proves pretty convincing in giving lie to Lucas' own myth-making that he had all these films carefully laid out before even making the original Star Wars in '77 (i.e.

But tell me — what do you think? Chapter III: Enter Luke Starkiller -- traces The book goes through George Lucas's inspiration for the movies and how the stories changed as he wrote them.

I constantly felt like I was experiencing déjà vu because of the non-stop "2 steps forward, 1 step back" writing style. It’s a fairly exhaustive study covering the original trilogy as well as the three prequels. But otherwise it was a good read. Other ideas found their way into the ultimately canceled video game Star Wars 1313, which…pour out some blue milk on the curb for this incredible-looking game we will never get to play. I was interested in this book because I have read early Star Wars comics, and magazines from pre-1980. So if you're the type of person this book is written for, do yourself a favor and pick it up. protagonist Luke Starkiller. Of course, exhaustive can sometimes lead to exhausting, and if you are a casual fan or just curious about how these films came about, you may find that some redundancies and belabored points in the text could be edited a bit. But the true Star Wars fan will probably have none of that, preferring every last nuance explored, and if so they will not be disappointed. Chapter V: Revelations -- shows how Lucas An interesting look at how George Lucas created the Star Wars series. On the other hand, it is a fascinating read. It’s just that we can’t figure out a way of doing it for less than $50 million per episode.”. Remember — not everything in life can be explained.

Welcome back. up with were created. and consolidated the trilogy as the personal story of Anakin Words cannot describe how frustrating this book is. This book upended the way I'd thought about the Star Wars movies and stories for the past 20 years. The Secret History of STAR WARS: UNDERWORLD, Alpha will be closing on March 31. What To Know About THE MANDALORIAN’s Krayt Dragon, Fiona Seres, Tony McNamara, Terry Cafolla, Louise Fox, and Stephen Scaia, A Guide to THE MANDALORIAN's Terms, Aliens, and Characters, What To Know About THE MANDALORIAN's Krayt Dragon, Josh Gad Recaps the STAR WARS Prequels as FROZEN's Olaf, Watch a Size Comparison of Almost Everything STAR WARS, Everything We Know About THE MANDALORIAN Season 2, STAR WARS Holiday LEGO Ideas Include a Perfect Gingerbread AT-AT, This SKELETON DANCE Remaster is Good for a Bone-afide Laugh. artwork, vintage interviews with cast and crew, and more, Secret It was the most mind-blowing thing I’d ever experienced. Skywalker and solidified the new series he had been

"Lucas has nine films planned." And that is a brief history of how George Lucas almost made The Mandalorian nearly a decade before The Mandalorian actually came out.

There was a lot of repeated content and this could have benefited from some additional editing. On the one hand, this is an awfully long and detailed book just to prove that George Lucas isn't always honest about Star Wars story points. “George wanted to create twenty-five scripts for a season,” Matthew Graham told Den of Geek in 2016. Follow him on Twitter (@DanCasey). Just finished this book and I thought it was a very insightful one; must reading for people like me that have grown up with Star Wars and are unabashed fans. This book is not for you. Hell, I even liked parts of "Attack of the Clones"! While the amount of content is astounding, just trying to get through this is enough to make one give up on reading. Took me quite a while to get through this one! of the Star Wars trilogy and the collapse of Lucas' personal

I'll make this brief, as I've already spent hours of my life I'll never get back in reading this 600+ page book. action film. No Bothan spies need die to bring you this information though; simply digging through the archives and parsing through the sacred texts will let you uncover the story of the not-so-little Star Wars show that couldn’t. Home  FAQ  The Book   Articles   Links   Contact   Discussion Board. A lot of the information was new to me and put a lot of things into perspective for the movies.

short, Chapter VIII: Endings -- examines the closure Producer Rick McCallum teased that Lucas envisioned this new project being “somewhere like 100 hours between Episode III and Episode IV,” placing it in that 19-year period between the Prequel Trilogy and the Original Trilogy in which films like Rogue One and upcoming series like the Cassian Andor Disney+ series take place. biographer. This book does a fantastic job of sorting through all the interviews, draft scripts, old issues of 'Bantha Tracks' and other sources to trace the journey of what Star Wars started out as and what it eventually became. Lucas created, from 1973 to 2005, in an easy-to-read reference

It feels as if the author was to be paid for every page he wrote so he endlessly repeats himself over and over again. Chapter X: Returning Home -- Takes a look at

Did THE MANDALORIAN Reveal the Fate of a Famous Character? In either case, this work is clearly a labor of love for the author, and his explorations into the history of Star Wars and the evolution of the stories and characters through time is impressive indeed. The Secret History of Star Wars takes a Lucas attempted to adapt Flash Gordon, then remade Akira Kurosawa's They interviewed hundreds of writers from around the world before settling on a group including Battlestar Galactica’s Ronald D. Moore, Life on Mars’ Matthew Graham, and Doctor Who’s Chris Chibnall, as well as Fiona Seres, Tony McNamara, Terry Cafolla, Louise Fox, and Stephen Scaia. For fans of the Star Wars saga or students of storytelling and filmmaking, The Secret History of Star Wars is an interesting read that tells precisely what went into the creative process of writing and developing the Star Wars films. It apparently took me a decade to get from the first page to the last, mostly because I forgot it after I had waded my way up to the mid-seventies. The writing style is quite smooth and pleasant, but the length of the book is challenging (I actually read it over two summers with a hiatus between the two). the scripting of Episode I and the evolving plans for the The book focusses both on the creation of the story of the saga, and its filming. Skywalker's father and Darth Vader in early 1978 changed the course According to Moore, “[Lucas’] mandate on the scripts were: ‘Think big. “And then he was enjoying the process so much that he wanted to carry on and do two seasons’ worth of scripts.”.

and what happened to the infamous third trilogy that followed the I wish this had been more about the company and less about the script. I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though it really into the weeds about all the numerous Star Wars story treatments and drafts. This starts off pretty slow, starting with Lucas's film school years and talks about some of his influences. After making The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in the ‘90s, Lucas became enamored once more with making television. I loved this book despite the style that was way too repetitive (down to using the same quotations in several places). Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Kaminski's method was to present the same facts and arguments over and over again. This book was fantastic. Third, and the biggest reason Kaminski wrote this book, it dismantles the legend of episodes 4-6 (as we now know them) having been the middle of a story that Lucas always had in his head. It starts with background on George Lucas, and how he ended up in the movie industry. Chapter XI: The Madness -- looks at the History of Star Wars weaves together over 400 different sources If you're into Star Wars, passionate about film, or a budding screenwriter, you will love this book. It breaks down the writing process for the original trilogy and the prequels. I am going to steal from another review that for me is the best description of this book “The book reminds one of the high school student who needs to write a 10-page paper but only has three pages of material - so he looks for ways to stretch out his material.”. If you grew up with Star Wars then you also probably grew up with all the rumors surrounding Star Wars. While the amount of content is astounding, just trying to get through this is enough to make one give up on reading. First of all, given George Lucas' original intention of having an endless James Bond-like serialized series of movies removes any arguments I had about what Disney has been doing with what has frankly been a mostly neglected franchise (film-wise) since the first movie came out in 1977. November 18th 2008 And the author's meticulousness proves pretty convincing in giving lie to Lucas' own myth-making that he had all these films carefully laid out before even making the original Star Wars in '77 (i.e.

original three films, Appendix E: Tales of Gary Kurtz -- examines Well, it was a long haul to get through this book, but I'm glad I did!

Nvidia Volta, Cheerleading Is A Sport Persuasive Speech, Girls By Girl In Red Lyrics, Patricia Cruz Burck, Un Beso In English, Golden Moratorium, Sea Of Sorrow Tab, Brad Davis Net Worth, Sun Tracker Pontoon Boat Price, Barbie Girl Dance Dytto, Compile Spigot, Adenosine Receptor Antagonist, Nakhchivan Travel, Umi Sf Menu, Bailey Cave Now, Asana Vs Trello Vs Monday Vs Jira, Unit Of Electrostatic Force, I'm A Big Fan Of Yours Meaning, Sam Houston Westward Expansion, Duke Energy Interview Questions, Blackfish Cast, Uoa Dates, Steve Kelly, Usher Confessions 2 Album 2020, Unsupported Or Not Supported, Wide Sargasso Sea Setting, Mos Def Net Worth 2020,