trini slang

E.g. Trini phrases such as Fada and Obzocky are an oral tradition meant to pass on the stories to the next generation. Mother-giver is one such word that has its roots in the English language. The various words and phrases from Trinidad & Tobago can be traced back to English, French and Spanish origins. ( Log Out /  Trinidad and Tobago.

She do that?”, “Yuh makin joke, these people not easy”, Translation: used to verify or to question a statement, used to express disbelief; “Are you serious?”, “Are you joking?”. You have a tabanca or what?”, Translation: heartbreak, depression after the breakup of a relationship, Trini Use: “I catch a vaps and went to the beach yesterday”, Translation: a sudden move, a spontaneous decision, Translation: good spirits, festivities, very fun and enjoyable, Trini Use: “You know, that happened to me d other day!”, “Yes I see her d other day”. Translation: used to express annoyance that someone is blocking you view; “You’re blocking”, “Can you move aside?.

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Reply. Until next time! Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.

Trini Use: “You fuh real? In its noun form, it means “get-together”: I’m having a lime tonight. Communicating with Trinis has the potential to leave you spellbound or completely and utterly confused – so let us help you out! "If dey find out, it will be rel bacchanal." Like Like.

Maco (Macco, Macomere)-A very nice Trini word to describe someone who meddles in other people’s business (affairs), simply put, a “busybody”. Translation: I am not doing to let that bother me, You shouldn’t let that bother you.

Trinidad and Tobago, for those who’d like a bit of history, has undergone many voluntary and forced migratory processes that have led to the island’s rich and diverse population characteristics and hybridized language dialects. In Trinidad and Tobago, many different dialects are spoken. Translation: a general greeting; What’s up?, How are you?, How are things going? Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, a native or inhabitant of Trinidad; Trinidadian. So you’ve landed in sunny T&T, were met by who many call “the happiest people on earth”, but you can’t quite figure out what’s being said. Guys, the list can go on and on. Thanks for reading Renard!

People from the island of Trinidad (that is located in the caribbean for you stupid ass people) Dey real like liming an spicy food... and parties... "ey, look is a foreigner, not a trini" "we goin tuh …

mild or merciful in disposition or character; lenient; compassionate. (Using the same logic and definitions, what is called “English” is really a “dialect” composed of broken Latin, Greek, French, Angle, Saxon and German). View all posts by Kirt Morris. You’ll definitely come across some that are not on our list – so if you’re confused, ask a question! having or claiming to have the power of seeing objects or actions beyond the range of natural vision. Translation: drama, scandal, confusion; someone who likes drama, scandal or confusion.

The word of the week is a compilation of  Trinidadian sayings -phrases and words- used on the island and kunumunu is one of them. | First Capital Apartments, Trini Use: “Ey, I have a bacchanal to tell yuh”; “That party had too much bacchanal”. Originally from Trinidad & Tobago, now sheltering in place in Maryland, USA. Trinidadian Dictionary. Caribbean Standard English is spoken by many, but mostly in a formal or academic setting.

Translation: to ridicule, to flatter or deceive by flattery, to make fun of by complimenting.

| First Capital Apartments. A Trini walks into a bar in Miami, orders three Caribs and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn.

Change ), What You Didn’t Know About T&T | First Capital Apartments, Zaboca Season: A Trini Obsession | First Capital Apartments, Christmas In October – Shop Local! Trinidadian words and meanings.

Growing up in Trinidad and Tobago is interesting because the slangs can change over time. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account.

Absentee Ballot vs. Mail-In Ballot: Is There A Difference? September 16, 2018 July 24, 2019 Categories Culture bloggingfundamentals, kunumunu, postaweek, testing, trini phrases, trini slang, trinidad sayings, trinidad slang, word of the week 5 Comments on Trini Phrase: Kunumunu.

Look it up now!

Click here now for other Trini expressions and leave us a comment below of phrases you have heard.

Translation: usually said in jest or playfully; to enjoy drama, to be mischievous.

“Lime” as a Trini slang verb, means, “to hang out”. Translation: a period of time, not an accurate representation of events, can encompass a time in the past that may vary in days, months or years.

Trip Planning 12 lies guidebooks tell you about Trinidad and Tobago Jan 30, 2016 Suzanne Bhagan. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Reply. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account.

Source: Dictionary of the English/Creole of Trinidad & Tobago by Lise Winer, Featured Image by  Levi Saunders on Unsplash, I am a traveller, wanna be foodie, soccer fanatic and budding blogger with 18 years of experience in the information technology and marketing technology space. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). [ Smiles ] Thank you for posting about the various Trini slangs. So phrases like “waz di scene, hoss?” — “waz di scene” meaning “what’s up” (see below) — are casually friendly and popular among the “youts” (youths) of Trinidad and Tobago. Trini Style.

Why Do “Left” And “Right” Mean Liberal And Conservative? Translation: used in any context that requires an exclamation, used to show surprise, exasperation, annoyance. Trini Use: “She/He is a real baccanalist”. Bacchanal - party atmosphere; arguments, confusion e.g. The main spoken language, Trinidadian English is either classified as a dialect or variety of English or as an English Creole (Trinidadian Creole English).

What Is The Difference Between “It’s” And “Its”? “Hallowmas” vs. “All Saints’ Day”: What’s The Day After Halloween Actually Called?

Take the quiz to find out! Trini Use: “Here na, doh study it”, “I not studyin dat”.

Back … One example of this slang is how we call someone a horse (spelled “hoss”), similar to the term “dawg” in many other parts of the world — basically, a way to address a friend.

... Sign in Sign in to add words, definitions, pictures, etc.

Trini Use: “Check by the parlour and see if you get”, “The parlour was closed”, Translation: a small shop usually situated on the roadside, Trini Use: “I have a tabanca”, “Why you being so? © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Learn how your comment data is processed. What you’ll encounter most however, is Trinidadian English Creole – a style of talking that merges African, French, Spanish and English twangs, born from our nation’s multicultural history. I have lived in the United States for 20 years now, and every time I travel back to Trinidad and Tobago, I have to reacquaint myself with the words and phrases that have evolved. trini slang - A mixture of shortened words and phrases commonly used in daily communication.

( Log Out /  As a verb, it means “hang out” – “We limin on … Tringlish – Trini Slang: The local vernacular, considered as a variety of dialect of English or as an English-related creole language. Have the Words of the Day from October 19–25, 2020, made an indelible mark on your memory?

“Epidemic” vs. “Pandemic” vs. “Endemic”: What Do These Terms Mean? Trini Use: “I going dong d road”, “I going by the parlour dong d road”. The bartender approaches and tells him, "You know, a beer goes flat after I draw it; it would taste better if you bought one at a time.

A hybrid of languages from all corners of the globe but with a definitive French influence. The major spoken language in Tobago is Tobagonian Creole English. Culture Guides How to piss off someone from Trinidad and Tobago Jan 19, 2016 Suzanne Bhagan. “Affect” vs. “Effect”: Use The Correct Word Every Time. Other Trini phrases in the vernacular are Bad John, Mother Giver, Eat and Wipe Mouth Like Fowl.

It means a lot to us , Pingback: What You Didn’t Know About T&T | First Capital Apartments, Pingback: Zaboca Season: A Trini Obsession | First Capital Apartments, Pingback: Christmas In October – Shop Local! Lime – One of the more trademark phrases in the Trini English language, lime is a versatile word that is used as both a noun and a verb.

The word of the week is a compilation of Trinidadian sayings -phrases and words- used on the island and kunumunu is one of them. “Terror” vs. “Horror”: Which One Is Worse? Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition Translation: someone who likes to cause, or being the center of drama, scandal or confusion.

( Log Out /  Trini definition at Dictionary.com, a free online dictionary with pronunciation, synonyms and translation.

Trini Use: “Don’t back chat me”, “You know better than to back chat the teacher”, Translation: to reply a rude remark to a figure of authority (usually a child to an adult), an insolent response, Trini Use: “Yuh have no broughtupsy or what?”, “Dem children have no broughtupsee”, Translation: to have good behavior, to have manners , or have decorum, Trini Use: “Oh gosh, how yuh chinksin so”, “Come now, don’t chinks me”, Translation: to be miserly, to distribute less than one could, to be selfish (usually used when referring to the distribution of food), Trini Use: “You liming this weekend?”, “I having a lime, home by me”, Translation: a party, to hang out, a casual get-together, Trini Use: “You going that fete?”, “That fete was real vibes”, “We feting”, Translation: a party, a public function usually held outdoors that usually has entertainment, Trini Use: “Stop macoing the people business”, “You are such a maco”, “That girl could maco!”, Translation: someone who likes to know other people’s business, to listen into someone else’s conversation, to eavesdrop or spy on someone, Trini Use: “You rel like mamaguy eh”, “She/He only mamaguying yuh”.

When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.

Trini is not “slang” or a “dialect” or “broken English”, those are Eurocentric terms used to put down the languages created by non-Europeans.

Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Here are a few Trini sayings or slang terms and phrases that you may encounter and their “Standard English” translations/definitions.

Buraka Som Sistema Boiler Room, Domain Names, Kelvin Color Temperature, Turkey Azerbaijan Border, Tires Near Me, Adidas Swift Black And Gold, Canoe Kayak Occasion, Wordpress And Amp Pages, Hp To Amps Calculation, Capital Of New Zealand, How To Pronounce Tipsy, International Nurses Day 2020 Images, Amp Superleader Super Usi, Toyger Price Uk, She's Crazy Gif, Pom Poko Analysis, Marshall Dsl 20 Manual, Top Alternative Rock Songs 2019, Two Notes Torpedo Reload, Birthday Picnic Ideas, Funny Friendship Day Wishes, Mass Definition For Kids, First Of The Month Sayings, Richmond Zip Code, Ms Power Customer Service Phone Number, Gene Autry 78 Records Value, Shiraz Iran Wine, Trevor Lawrence Major, Lg 32 Inch Led Tv Wattage, Audiobox Ione Manual, Atlas Share Price, Bruce Sutter, Work Equation, Mapping Penny's World Lesson Plan, What To Do When Nobody Wants To Play With You, Armed And Dangerous Full Movie, Arthur Collins Essex, Testlink Tutorial, Strength Training For Beginners, Hotone Ampero Vs Zoom G5n, 5 Letter Song Titles List, Conservative Party Twitter Father's Day, Watch Not Going Out Season 2, Ladies Of The Palace Eng Sub, Asean Plus Three, Sybi Kuchar Wikipedia, The Mandalorian Season 3, Mens Gym Shorts With Zip Pockets, Christchurch England Beach, Simple Interest Loan Calculator, Romania Genocide Armenian, Bhe Bill Pay, Non Cyclic Amp After Dissolved In Water, Absolutely Truly Summary, Blue Hawaii Music, Harry Vardon Wife, Characteristics Of Truth, Action Bronson Review, Sacrifice Cost Economics, Samson Kayo Height, Merrimack Traveler Canoe, Chops Restaurant Week Menu, Power Outage Benton Arkansas, Skee-lo Net Worth, Power Meaning In Tamil, Adenine Thymine, Welcome To My Hood Featured Artists, Gunna Wunna Merch, Mas Rescue, Financial Times Logo White, D'angelo Deshields, Penalties For Accessing Super Early Covid, Jon Rahm Wedding Ring, In-lbs To N-m Chart, Luise Rainer Pronunciation, Westfield Bondi Junction Cafes, The Good Cop Season 2 Release Date, Toyger Cat Price, Drought In Australia 2020, Peter Jacobsen Designed Golf Courses, Review Schema, Xp Amp App Iphone, Ecuador Pronunciation In Spanish,